socorro police department

Socorro Police Department

The following items were taken from reports at the Socorro Police Department

Apr. 13

A woman on Harold Drive contacted police about missing her firearm. She told the officer where she normally kept her Smith and Wesson Model 18 Combat Masterpiece with a brown handle and noticed it missing today. She said two females have access to her residence, a female caretaker and another female who worked for her from November 2020 to February 2021. She is not sure when the gun went missing and she did not copy down the serial number on the firearm. Its value was estimated at $850.

An officer met with a complainant at 1:20 p.m. where there was a person taking pictures and thought he was taking pictures of the children. The teacher said she had gone outside and saw the male on Neel Street taking a selfie of himself with the kids in the background. The suspect walked across the street and got in a vehicle and left the area. The teacher told the officer she had taken a photo of the vehicle and was going to email the video to the police. The officer looked for the vehicle and advised other officers of the description of the vehicle, but they were not able to locate the suspect or vehicle.

Apr. 14

An officer met with a complainant at 12:21 p.m. who reported that his popup trailer was missing and he believed someone had stolen it. The officer went to the location on Mt. Carmel and could see the tire impressions of the popup trailer. The victim described the trailer and told the officer the trailer was last seen the day before. The officer asked him if he had any other information about the trailer and he said he would get the information on the trailer and call the police department with it. When the victim called back he said he had spoken with a family member and was told the trailer was moved to another family member’s home and was not, in fact, stolen.

An officer assisting another agency with a vehicle pursuit at 12:27 a.m. closed the Intestate 40 exit into the city and was advised that the suspect’s vehicle had been disabled and the suspect ran off on foot. The officer assisted in locating the suspect, who was arrested and left in the custody of the sheriff’s department and State Police.

An officer responded at 8:05 a.m. to a report from the victim who said that someone took several signs from in front of their business in the 500 block of California Street. The business did not have cameras and no suspects were identified.

A victim on Memory Lane reported that an unknown suspect entered their vehicle without permission, taking a handmade walking stick and a small briefcase from the truck. The male suspect also took a set of antlers from out of view of the victim’s security camera. The officer was provided with a video of the incident. The suspect was in a small black Ford passenger car. The suspects were not identified.

A vehicle was pulled over on Otero Avenue at 7 a.m. for a traffic infraction. A check with NCIC showed the driver had a valid warrant for her arrest. She was arrested and booked into the SCDC.

Apr. 15

An officer was called to the 200 block of Evergreen at 7:20 p.m. on the report of a rock being thrown through the caller’s vehicle window. The officer met with the caller who said she was checking on the property of a family member. The victim advised she had also seen extension cords running from an electric box. The officer did see the broken window and located the extension cords. The officer met with a witness who stated the female victim had thrown a rock through her own car window and removed the extension cords that did not belong to the victim. The witness said she had permission from the owner, who was not related to the victim, to be on the property. The cords were returned to the witness. The victim was allowed to leave.

Officers were advised at 10:22 p.m. of a male wearing dark clothes walking along Highway 60. The officers were in the area looking for the person when a vehicle in front of the officer swerved to the left and abruptly came to a stop. The officer approached and found a male lying in the roadway. The officer called for an ambulance and met with the driver, who said he thought a dog was in the roadway, but as he approached he noticed it was a person crawling into the road. The driver said he swerved to miss the person but it was too late and the person was struck with the front of his vehicle. The officer had the driver perform field sobriety tests and no impairment clues were noted. The driver was released after his information was obtained. The pedestrian had severe injuries and was transferred to a hospital in Albuquerque.

Police received a call at 11:21 p.m. that juvenile suspects were trying to start a fight with the caller’s children in the 400 block of Second Street. The caller said the suspects had driven by the home and yelled for the caller’s children to come out and fight. A witness across the street also saw the suspects stop in front of the caller’s home and yell for the children to come out and fight. A description of the car was given and officers were able to locate the suspect vehicle and meet with the occupants. The suspect figured the contact was due to the incident on Second Street and explained that a male ran out in front of her car and yelled at her so she left the area. She was advised to stay away from the caller’s home. The suspect was cited into court for traffic violations.

A victim reported that someone was able to obtain his bank card information and make purchases in Albuquerque at a Golden Pride restaurant for $70, at Discount Tire Co. in Roswell for $912.27, and at a Yes Way store in Roswell for $7.83. The victim said he was still in possession of his bank card and was not sure from where the suspects obtained the card information. The officer contacted the three businesses and was advised the tire store had no video of the incident. The Yes Way provided photos of the possible suspects who were not able to be identified. The restaurant in Albuquerque was still providing information on the incident at time of report.

Officers were called to the elementary school for a welfare check where a student had expressed thoughts of hurting herself. The staff had attempted to contact the parent to come to pick up the child at school, but the parent could not be reached. It was told to the caller that a family member went to the parent’s home and had to wake the parents because the two were under the influence of a narcotic. The officers contacted the parents, who were already at the school speaking with assisting officers. The parents said they were notified and had already met with the staff and signed a document to have the child seen by a counselor. The parents denied using drugs and the officers did not see any signs of being under the influence of narcotics. The officers transported the children and parents home and completed a home check. There were no signs of drug use in the home. The home had plenty of food and the utilities were on. The home was clean and livable. The officer documented the incident.

A victim on Otero Avenue reported at 2:49 p.m. that the male suspect was calling and texting her about issues other than their child. She said she had a valid order of protection against him that stated the two can only have contact if it involved the child. The officer was provided with text messages showing the conversation. The case will be staffed with the DA. Charges were approved.

A man on Bursum Place called police about noticing scratches to his vehicle and believed the neighbor’s children were responsible. The officer was shown the damage to the car. There were no witnesses to the incident. The officer spoke with the parent of the children, who stated he did not think his children caused the damage and has packed a board down so the children would know not to pass the boundary.

A male victim reported he was in his home in the 600 block of Grant when the suspect forced open the door, entered the home, and struck him several times before leaving. The officer noted damage to the door and that the victim had a red mark on the side of his face from the altercation. Following the incident, the suspect left the area on foot and was not located. Charges of Breaking and Entering, Battery, and Criminal Damage to Property were filed on the suspect.

Apr. 16

A man on Santa Fe Lane called police at 5:39 p.m. about the suspect causing damage at this property. He said she had been removing her personal property from the home, and when he later checked the home he found a window had been broken. The victim believed the suspect broke the window as she was the only person at the home.

A caller on Cuba Road reported at 2 p.m. that the male suspect was having a psychotic episode and had stabbed a knife through the door. The victim said the suspect was talking to himself and would not come out of his room. The officers were able to speak with the male, who stated he was not wanting to hurt himself or anyone else, that he only wanted to be left alone. The officer contacted Socorro General Hospital to see if he would be accepted for a mental health evaluation without being homicidal or suicidal The officers were advised he did not meet the criteria for the evaluation. The caller asked that the male be removed from the home and evicted, and was advised of the steps to have him evicted.

A caller reported at 12:27 p.m. that the suspect used their taxi service and was given a ride to a local business on California Street. The caller stated the suspect had a bag of clothes with him when he exited the vehicle. The suspect then called the taxi service and accusing the driver of stealing his belongings. The caller also said the suspect was making threats to her over the phone. She said she did not want the suspect at the business again and wanted him trespassed. The suspect was later located and trespassed from the property.

A caller contacted police at 9:03 a.m. about a trespasser on their property in the 600 block of Park Street. The caller said the unknown suspect broke a window on a storage shed where yard tools are kept, but that it appeared that nothing was taken. A key was found outside the shed that unlocks the door to the shed. The caller pointed out empty beer and liquor containers on their property that looked like were thrown from a neighbor’s yard. The officer was able to speak with the neighbor by phone. The neighbor said she would check on the trash and remove it.

Officers following up on a CPS report at 8:45 a.m. met with the guardian who was briefed on the visit. The guardian stated the juvenile was speaking with family and friends and was not interested in attending counseling sessions at this time. The officers did meet with the juvenile, who said she was fine and was communicating with friends. The guardian was asked about scheduling a doctor’s appointment and the guardian said a well-child doctor visit will be scheduled after the juvenile’s birthday party.