socorro police department

Socorro Police Department

The following items were taken from reports at the Socorro Police Department

June 15

Officers followed up at 9:21 p.m. a CPS report that alleged the father of the child was in a physical altercation with the mother of the child and during the argument the father put the mother in a headlock and put a gun to the mother’s head. The incident was not reported to police. The officer was able to speak with the mother by phone. The mother advised she and her child were fine and no incident occurred. The officer documented the incident.

A caller reported at 10:34 p.m. a female suspect was observed taking flowers from flower pots outside of City Hall. The caller provided a description of the female, who was picked up by a person in a white passenger car. A short time later the same female suspect was seen walking on Garfield with flowerpots and called for the white car to pick her up. The officers checked the area and were not able to locate the female or car. The officer did notice some soil was outside of a flowerpot at City Hall. There were still flowers in the flowerpot. At this time the suspect is not known.

June 16

A suspect called in at 3 a.m. for shining a light into the laundry room of a hotel. The officers located the male suspect walking with a female suspect at California and Church. The male suspect was checked for warrants through NCIC and was shown to have a valid arrest warrant. The suspect was arrested and booked SCDC. The female was released.

An officer was dispatched at 11:20 a.m. to take a report from a male victim who had blood on his face and his chest. The victim stated he was called to a residence in the 900 block of Texas Avenue to give his cousin a ride. When he went into the residence, he was confronted by two males who demanded his wallet. The victim said he was struck by both suspects. He said he was able to fight his way past them but dropped his cell phone and glasses during the incident. The officer arrived at the residence where the incident had happened, but the suspects had left. The officer had not contacted suspects in the case. The victim was contacted later in the day, and said a second male suspect was not involved, contradicting his initial statement. At this time charges are pending DA approval.

An officer was called to the 900 block of California for a juvenile male and female arguing. The officer located the male who confirmed he was in a verbal argument with his girlfriend. The officer then met with the female who corroborated the male’s statement. The male juvenile was taken to the police department and the female was picked up by her family. No charges were filed. The male juvenile was released to his mother.

The suspect was contacted at West Place and Blue Canyon for having a valid arrest warrant. The officer completed an NCIC check on the suspect which confirmed two valid arrest warrants. The suspect was processed and booked SCDC.

A caller from Smoker’s Discount on California St. reported at 12:57 p.m. a male made a purchase using a counterfeit $10 bill. The caller said she confronted the male about the fake money. He claimed he made a purchase at another store and was given the money as part of his change. The officer was provided the bill which had stamps in Asian writing and was clearly fake. The money was logged as evidence. At this time the suspect is not known.

June 17

Officers were called at 6:12 p.m. to a home in the 1100 block of Chaparral to remove a male. The officer arrived and found the male in question sitting outside in a vehicle. The male was identified as someone known to have a valid arrest warrant, and he was arrested and booked into SCDC.

The suspect was picked up at Grant and Spring streets at 7:45 p.m. for having an arrest warrant. The warrant was confirmed, and the suspect was arrested, processed and booked into SCDC.

A woman in the 1000 block of Sixth Street reported at 6:38 p.m. that the male suspect was aggressive during a custody exchange with her. She said she filed a CPS report over an incident that she was informed about from the male’s daughter when the daughter returned home from visitation. As the officer was speaking with her, the male arrived and told the officers that if they needed to speak with him to not go to his residence because he was not going to answer the door. He then got into his vehicle and left. The caller said she needed the incident documented.

A caller in the 1300 block of NW Frontage Road called police at 6:44 a.m. to report that someone tried breaking into a home. The caller said that this morning she looked at a neighboring home and noticed a window was open and the outside faucet was left on. She said she suspected someone may be staying in the vacant home. The home was checked from the outside and no one was seen. The caller was asked to contact the homeowner since she was a landlord for the property. She called police later in the morning and reported she made contact with the homeowner and was given consent to check the home. The officers checked the home and noted the home was very dirty and had an odor of rotten food or dead animal. The floors and counters were covered in trash and the toilets had feces in them, and now was crusted over. The home did not appear to be livable and had several broken windows and appeared to be used for storage. No one was located in the home.

Officers were called at 12:55 p.m. to Mt. Carmel Avenue on a report of a child wandering the streets in a diaper. The officers arrived and located a small child wearing only a soiled diaper. A witness said the child had been walking down the street, unattended. The child was taken to Socorro General Hospital to be checked out. The officers believed the child to be the same child that walked away from the suspect’s home a few weeks prior. One of the officers went to the suspect’s home and did not find him at home. The suspect was arriving as the officer was about to leave and inquired if the child had been located. The suspect explained he had just woken up and gone to the bathroom, and when he came out the child was gone. When he was asked about the child being soiled with feces, he thought the child must have soiled himself last night while sleeping. The suspect’s in-laws were on the scene and were able to take custody of another child. The suspect was taken to the police department for investigation. While the child was being seen by medical staff, the CYFD office was called and arrived later at the SGH and confirmed the child appeared to be fine. The child was released to the maternal grandmother along with a sibling. The suspect was arrested and booked into the SCDC on a child abuse charge.

A caller reported at 9:45 a.m. that an unknown person set up a grave-type shrine on the San Miguel Catholic Church property. The caller was advised that since the property belonged to the church the shrine could be removed.

A man on Giles Lane said he was giving a female a ride after picking her up on the roadway. He said he was sitting in the truck with the female at his home and then exited the vehicle and went inside. The female then left in the truck without permission. The victim went to the police department to file a report, where the officer was advised that Sheriff’s deputies found the vehicle and female back at his house. The officer met with the suspect who said she was trying to get home. The victim did not want charges filed and just wanted her off the property. She was advised she was not welcome on the property. No charges were filed.

A man turned in a wallet to the police. Officers located the owner and returned the wallet.

June 18

An officer was patrolling in the vicinity of Spring and Grant streets at 5:06 p.m. and spotted a female known to have a warrant for her arrest. A check with NCIC confirmed the warrant and she was arrested and incarcerated at Socorro County Detention Center.

An officer was dispatched at 7:20 p.m. to a residence in the 400 block of Second Street for a dog at large chasing kids on bikes. The officer met with the reporting party who told the officer a large brown German Shepard was chasing her child as she rode her bike on the ditch. The officer knocked at the residence but was unable to get an answer. The officer was able to speak with the dog’s owner via cell phone and issued a citation for dog at large. The dog was subsequently restrained by its owner.

An officer was dispatched to Good Sam’s for a male who had been missing. The male was missing for about 45 minutes and the officer was given his description. The officer met with hospital staff down the road and was advised the male was last seen walking towards town. An officer noticed the male in town, and he was escorted back to the care of the facility.

An officer was dispatched to a residence in the 1100 block of El Camino Real for an assault. The officer met with the victim who said her father was yelling at her. She said she wanted to file charges on her father for making her feel uncomfortable.

An officer was called at 4:45 p.m. to the Peralta and Blue Canyon area for a reckless driver. The officer located the vehicle that was described, driven by a female. The officer was able to get behind the vehicle and activate the unit’s emergency equipment. The female suspect fled at a high rate of speed. The officer called in the vehicle for pursuit. The on-duty supervisor canceled the pursuit. The suspect was last seen going west on Spring Street in a green Jeep Cherokee with a temporary tag. The driver had not been positively identified.

Officers were called at 2 p.m. to Wal-Mart for a shoplifting, where a juvenile confessed to stealing a food bar. He provided officers with a name and date of birth and directed officers to a place he said he was living at. The officer checked the home, and no one was there. A neighbor told the officer the residence was vacant and belonged to a family member. The suspect was advised he was giving the wrong information and was taken to the police department. The officers called CYFD and requested a worker since the suspect would not give the correct information. The child continued to provide the wrong information and was turned over to CYFD and a correct DOB for the juvenile was obtained. The juvenile was found to be a runaway from Belen. A check with NCIC confirmed that he was a runaway. The mother of the child was contacted and advised of the incident. CYFD was also in contact with the mother to have the child returned. No charges were filed.

A caller from Bodega Burger reported at 11 a.m. that a male had cashed a check at the business, but when the check was taken to the bank, the bank staff said the check was not valid. The caller contacted the male and told him the check was not valid and the police took possession of the check. The male who used the check told police he just received the check and could provide documentation. He came to the police department and brought the original envelope and said he contacted the IRS to inform them the check was lost or stolen. The male was advised that the check was probably canceled, and he would have to contact the IRS to have them issue a new one. The check and copy of the envelope were logged at the police department.

A victim in the 700 block of Bagley reported that someone stole his air compressor and some flowers overnight. He said he was able to recover his air compressor from a male who bought the compressor from a female suspect. A witness supplied information, but no contact has been made with the suspect at time of report.

An officer was informed of a female who had a valid warrant for her arrest. She was picked up in the 1000 block of California and arrested and incarcerated at Socorro County Detention Center.

A suspect was causing a disturbance at 3:30 p.m. at the victim’s home in the 600 block of Bagley. The suspect was located inside the home and was being escorted outside when the victim told the officer the suspect had already been trespassed from the victim’s home once before. The suspect was arrested and booked SCDC.

June 19

An officer was dispatched at 8:47 a.m. to a residence in the 300 block of Sixth Street where a man reported that another man was threatening to kill him. The officer was told the male had made threats against him in the past. The officer attempted to locate the suspect at his residence several times, but no contact was made as of the time of the report.

June 20

An officer met with a female at 12:15 p.m. who wanted to report a missing wallet. She told the officer that after she left work she was sitting outside waiting for her ride. After getting the ride she went to the grocery store and noticed her wallet missing. She looked for her wallet and could not locate it. The officer advised her to cancel all the cards that were inside her wallet.

An officer responded at 6:38 a.m. to an alarm at a building on Sixth Street. The officer arrived and found a broken window. The officer checked the building and did not find anyone inside. The officer contacted an employee of the business, who said the window was valued at $500. At this time there are no suspects.

A woman in the 800 block of Granada reported an attempted break-in at her home while she was at a neighbor’s house. She said her mother was a witness to the incident and was inside the home when the suspect tried breaking in. The officer met her mother, who said she was watching her grandchild when she heard a window air conditioner being pushed through from the outside, followed by the male suspect trying to climb in the window. She told the suspect he was not allowed in the home, to which the suspect replied he was thirsty. She gave him a Gatorade and he left. The suspect then returned and broke a window. The victim estimated the damage to the window at $50. The officer attempted to locate the suspect in the area. Charges of breaking and entering and criminal damage to property are pending in the case.