From the depths of the longest novel to the shores of the nearest picture book, reading can prevent the dreaded summer slide, and library reading programs are here to encourage it.
Kids can lose knowledge they acquired over the school year during the summer. An easy fix is to simply read.
Socorro and Magdalena public libraries kicked off their summer reading programs last week.
The Socorro summer reading program runs June 2 to July 14. It includes prizes for all kids participating and in-person activities like family yoga, a community theater workshop and robotics fun.
New this year, there will be a prize for the child who attends the most activities. There are also weekly raffles and a grand prize.
The reading program isn’t just for kids. Adults can participate, too.
Adults reading for enjoyment set an example for the children in their lives, showing reading is fun, said Socorro Youth Services Librarian Kathy Spring.
Prizes have been donated by local businesses. They include Performing Arts Series, community theater and Loma Theater tickets; gift certificates for restaurants all over town; and grown-up prizes like free nails, a free salon visit and a free massage.
Seeing the kids get excited to get books is the best part of the summer reading program for Spring. Summer reading helps them learn coming to the library is fun, she said.
The Magdalena Public Library summer reading program runs June 4 to July 30. Participants can sign up all summer.
The program includes weekly craft and story times on Fridays from 11 a.m. to noon, events and prizes for turning in reading logs. The crafts range from paper-weaving to sock puppets to slime-making.
“While summer reading is meant to encourage kids to read, it’s also about having fun,” said Magdalena librarian Ivy Stover. “Obviously, I want all my kids to read, but more importantly, I want them to engage with the community and other kids, and have fun.”
Magdalena summer reading events:
- Movie Night at the Library: Friday, June 24, 6 p.m. Bring pillows and blankets. Free popcorn!
- Teddy Bear Workshop: Saturday, July 23.
Socorro summer reading activities:
All activities take place at the Socorro Public Library
- June 9: Missoula Children’s Theater workshop, 3 p.m.
- June 10: Robotics fun, 2 p.m.
- June 13: Socorro County Extension kids exercise, 2 p.m.
- June 15: Family yoga, 2 p.m.
- June 16: Animals of Bosque del Apache, 2 p.m.
- June 17: Bike safety/repair workshop, 2 p.m.
- June 20: Jon Spargo tells the story of Engine 2926, 2 p.m.
- June 22: Family yoga, 2 p.m.
- June 23: Bee Chama Honey, 2 p.m.
- June 27: Search and rescue presentation, 2 p.m.
- June 28: NRAO, 2 p.m.
- June 29: Family yoga, 2 p.m.
- June 30: Socorro Community Theater workshop, 2 p.m.
- July 5: Explora! science museum, 2 p.m.
- July 6: Family yoga, 2 p.m.
- July 7: Animals with Sam Winter or Tumbleweeds 4-H, 2 p.m.
- July 8: Wonder on Wheels, 2 p.m.
- July 11: ABQ BioPark Aquarium, 2 p.m.
- July 12: N.M. Acequia Association, 2 p.m.
- July 13: Family yoga, 2 p.m.
- July 14: End of summer reading program