Compiled by Denice Ortega

AUGUST 25, 1966

MR, AND MRS. HENRY JOJOLA are proud of their four sons in service. First Lt. Raymond Jojola, 26, with the Air Force at Laredo, Texas, graduated from New Mexico Tech in 1964, joined the Air Force in August that year, took basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, studied meteorology at Texas A&M University, was commissioned second lieutenant Nov. 11, 1964, and first lieutenant May 10, 1966. Henry Jr., 22, 1962 Socorro High School graduate, member of Socorro Battery C, New Mexico Army National Guard, taking six months’ basic training at Ft. Bliss. Vincent, 23, petty officer third class on the USS Ajax, a repair ship is a 1962 SHS graduate who joined the Navy is stationed in Sasebo, Japan. Lucas, 18, 1965 SHS graduate, joined the Navy that year and is on the USS Gunston Hall, a repair ship.

Four Jojola sons serve the country.



  • Chuck Roast $.48 a pound
  • Pork Sausage $.49 a pound roll
  • Beef Roast$.59 a pound
  • Arm Roast $.69 a pound

AUGUST 27, 1968

STATE POLICE OFFICER Fred Caldwell investigated a fatal accident which was reported to the State Police at about 12:40 a.m. Sunday. The report stated that a vehicle traveling south on I-25 driven by a 19-year-old man of Socorro, went off the roadway on the left, moved back on the roadway from the shoulder, went back to the left shoulder and rolled over three times in the median. The driver was pronounced dead on arrival at the hospital. There was one passenger in the vehicle who was treated and released from the hospital. An officer said the accident was contributed to high speed. Both young men had weekend passes from the National guard encampment near El Paso.

AUGUST 29, 1968

PERCY SICKLES, assistant juvenile officer, spoke at Socorro High School before a general assembly of the students. He told the students that from now on first offenders of traffic violations will lose their drivers’ licenses for 30 days- and according to the seriousness of violations, second an third offenses would cause the juvenile driver to lose his license for longer periods of time. He also said that names of offenders will be published. Sickles said that juvenile traffic offenses have reached an alarming rate.

AUGUST 26, 1969

A SOCORRO ELECTRIC CO-OP EMPLOYEE narrowly escaped serious injury while working on a transformer at New Mexico Tech. Sustaining burns on the arms and feet was a man who was revived from a severe electrical shock by artificial resuscitation. Udell Vigil related to Defensor Chieftain that a crew from the Co-Op was making connections on a transformer at the college when a nut was dropped into the transformer. A workman picked it up the nut, and in passing it to man, the metal drew an aro from the 7200-volt power source. Reflexively, the man jumped back brushing his arm against the transformer from which he received the shock. Mouth-to-mouth breathing was administered prior to the arrival of the ambulance.  Following treatment at Socorro General Hospital, an electrocardiogram disclosed that the man sustained no internal injury.

EARLE AND HOLM BURSUM III gave an old-fashioned barbeque, inviting some 300 guests to the occasion of which was also Holm’s birthday. As the Bursums expressed it, it was a “thank you” party for the help of many who assisted us in many ways during the construction and remodeling of their new home, formerly the Edelen property.  Also, all the neighbors for blocks around were included, in addition to their many friends. The chef for the barbeque was Lucas Garcia who is famous for his pit-cooked beef. His young daughter assisted in preparing the tossed salad, and of course, there were beans and chile plus three birthday cakes.

Chieftain Staff Report