The following items were taken from reports at the Socorro Police Department

July 25

An officer was dispatched at 7:23 a.m. to San Miguel Church in reference to a woman wanting to report a battery on her friend. The caller told the officer her friend messaged her to call the cops because she and her boyfriend were fighting, and he hit her. The officer was given a description of the house on Bernard Street, a residence the officer had been to on previous calls and was familiar with the male and female residents. The officer announced and knocked on the door several times before the male opened the door. He  told the male they needed to talk, and the male became defensive immediately, saying, “For what?” and “Why?” The male then tried to shut the door but was stopped by the officer. He was detained and resisted, and officers were able to get him handcuffed. The officer asked the woman if she was pregnant, and she said yes. She said she and him were arguing over something he did. She stated he started yelling and pushed her, almost knocking her over near their bathroom, but said she did not want him to go to jail. He denied pushing her and said he did not touch her. He knew she was seven months pregnant. He was transported to the police station and then to Socorro County Detention Center.

An officer was called at 1 p.m. to the 600 block of Fifth Street for a burglary. The officer met with the victim, who stated his wife’s truck had been broken into. The driver’s door was damaged and paperwork for the vehicle was missing. He did not notice anything else missing and said he had not checked on the vehicle for a while.

An officer was called at 5:07 p.m. to the Socorro Police Department to take a report. The victim stated she wanted to report a fraud. She stated she was informed by the bank she owed $3,600. She said when she checked it out, she noticed somebody had filed taxes in her name for 2021 and 2022. The victim said she was advised to make a report with the police.

An officer was called at 3:59 p.m. to the Plaza in reference to a Farmers Market vendor needing to be removed. The officer contacted City Hall and was informed that the president of the Farmers Market has the say in who is able to be at the Plaza on Saturdays and Tuesdays. The officer met with the female and informed her she needed to leave—the female left.

July 26

An officer was called at 8:32 a.m. to Miranda mobile home park on Fifth Street in reference to a stolen four-wheeler. The officer met with the victim, who stated his four-wheeler had been sitting in front of his steps, and this morning it was gone. The victim had a video of the incident, and the officer recognized the suspect from previous dealings. The victim stated he went to the area where he believed his four-wheeler had been taken and spoke with a neighbor. While talking with the neighbor, the victim noticed his four-wheeler in a backyard. The officer met with the property owner who allowed a search of the property and the four-wheeler was recovered. The property owner told the officer the suspect was inside and refused to come out. The homeowner allowed officers into the residence and the suspect was placed under arrest and transported to Dona Ana County Juvenile Detention Center.

An officer was called to High School Road in reference to an abandoned vehicle in the roadway. A tow truck was called to remove the vehicle.

An officer was called to Zimmerly School in reference to a family issue. The officer arrived and met with the reporting person who stated he has not spoken with his father in approximately two years, and today his father attempted to pick up his children. He said his father was attempting to pick up his children from the bus stop when he arrived. He stated his children did not want to go with the grandfather and walked towards the bus driver. His father got angry and yelled at the bus driver, then left shortly after. The reporting person requested the officer speak with his father and inform him he did not want him to attempt to contact his children. The officer met with the father and told him he was to no longer make contact with his grandchildren.

A complainant at the police station met with an officer to report that her boyfriend had hacked her Google account and has been getting into her accounts and taking money from her. The complainant said he has made it hard for her to pay her bills and has told her he was a professional hacker. She also said he goes by her house, knocks on the doors, and messes with her vehicle. The officer assisted her in changing her passwords and advised her she could pick up a copy of a report within 3-5 days.

An officer received a call from the compliance office at 12:40 p.m. in reference to a woman stating she would like to turn herself in. The officer ran her driver’s license through dispatch, which showed she had a warrant out of New Mexico State Police. She was transported to SPD and booked into SCDC.

An officer was dispatched at 12:03 p.m. to a residence on Baca for a civil stand-by. The officer spoke with a man who said he was missing money from his account. He said the only people who had access to his account were him and his wife. The officer advised him he would be getting a subpoena for the account.

An officer was dispatched at 3:55 p.m. to a residence in the 600 block of Nicholas Avenue for a battery. A woman at the home said her son was battered on the school bus. She said she knew the juvenile’s name but did not know what had happened. The officer said he would be getting a video of the incident.

An officer called at 8:48 p.m. to Vermont Avenue in reference to a lost phone. The reporting person stated his girlfriend had his phone approximately three weeks ago and lost it. He called the cell phone company, who informed him he needed a police report to have the phone replaced.

July 27

An officer was patrolling at 1:21 p.m. and noticed an individual known to have an active warrant for his arrest in the vicinity of PSI Safe Harbor. The officer placed him under arrest and transported him to SCDC where he was booked on his warrant.

An officer was called at 5:44 p.m. to the 300 block of Fisher Avenue in reference to a vehicle burglary. The officer met with the victim, who said his vehicle was broken into sometime in the last week. He also said he checked his bank account and noticed multiple fraudulent charges. The victim will be providing the officer with his bank statements.

An officer was dispatched at 10:53 a.m. to Circle K on North California Street in reference to a female employee being harassed by a female customer. The employee said she noticed a couple of females she has had conflicts with in the past come into the store, and she ducked into the back office. One of the women came back and knocked on the office door and threatened her, saying if she didn’t pay back her daughter’s money she would go to her house and beat her up. Both parties left the area. The victim told the officer she only knew them by their first names.

An officer was dispatched at 5:40 p.m. to the 700 block of Liles in reference to a lost wallet. The female victim said she was at Walmart at approximately 3:30 p.m. and believes she could have left her wallet either at the self-checkout or in the cart when she was done loading her groceries into her vehicle. She told the officer she has checked her bank account and noticed multiple charges to her bank cards.

An officer was dispatched at 4:17 p.m. to a residence on Otero Street for an attempted burglary. The reporting party said he and his girlfriend had left the home, and when they came back, it appeared as if someone had tried to break into the back door using a butter knife. He stated when they got back, the knife was bent as if someone tried to make it fit between the door jam of his back door. The butter knife was found sitting at the back door of his apartment. He said he did not see anyone in the area when he arrived home.

An officer was dispatched at 6:02 p.m. to a residence on Cuba Road for a trespasser. The officer spoke with a woman who said people had been trespassing in her yard. The officer spoke with the victim’s son, who said the people were his friends and were not trespassing.

An officer was called at 8:42 a.m. to the 200 block of Manzanares in reference to a theft. The victim stated he recently purchased a weed eater and began using it. He said the weed eater was not working properly so he took it back to his apartment to have a friend check it and left it with the friend. He said the friend told him he left it in the courtyard, but when the victim walked out a short time later the weed eater was nowhere in the courtyard. He said he double-checked with the friend who said he didn’t have it. He provided the officer with a serial number for the weed eater, and it was entered into NCIC as stolen.

An officer was dispatched at 8:03 a.m. to the 900 block of  Reservoir Road in reference to an unresponsive male. The officer met with a man outside the residence who said the male was not breathing and he was unable to find a pulse. The officer then met with a woman who pointed in the direction of the male. The officer entered the bedroom and checked the male’s neck area and his right wrist and was unable to get a pulse. EMS arrived but were unable to find any signs of life. OMI came and pronounced him deceased at 8:25 a.m. Daniels Funeral Home arrived and took possession of the body.

An officer was patrolling in the area of Hope Farms Road and Otero and was contacted at 12:30 p.m. to be on the lookout for a green SUV with a busted door handle. The officer observed the vehicle pull into a residence on Hope Farms Road and ran the plate through dispatch. The plate came back as belonging to a different vehicle altogether and was removed by officers. A male walked out of the residence and told the officer he had just bought the vehicle and did not know the plate was registered to another vehicle. His identifiers were run through NCIC, which showed he had a warrant for his arrest out of District Court. The suspect was transported to Socorro General Hospital where he was medically cleared for incarceration and booked on his warrant at SCDC.

Chieftain Staff Report