socorro police department

Socorro Police Department

The following items were taken from reports at the Socorro Police Department

July 20

An officer was patrolling on N. California Street at 12:08 a.m. and noticed a possible narcotics transaction. The officer stopped the male who left the area and questioned him about the purchase of narcotics. The male denied buying narcotics and gave consent to being searched. The officer located a wallet with several blue pills in his wallet. He told the officer he was doing narcotic buys for the CIA. The pills were placed on the trunk of the police unit, and while the officer opened the door to secure the suspect, the male grabbed the pills off the trunk with his mouth and swallowed them all. EMTs were called to care for the male.

A victim reported at 9:44 a.m. of driving down the street and running over a can of spray paint at California and Abeyta. The can burst and left paint on the victim’s vehicle. The officer did see the paint on the vehicle. The incident was documented.

A man reported at 4:52 p.m. an unknown person was attempting to obtain benefits using his information. He had been contacted by his employer and notified of the attempted use. The victim has contacted the NM Workforce Solutions and the Social Security office of the incident. There are no suspects at this time.

July 21

Officers were called at 8:09 p.m. to a home on Grant Street for a male overdosing. The officers were escorted to the male and he was given a dose of Narcan. The suspect was taken to Socorro General Hospital for medical treatment.

Officers were summoned at 4:09 a.m. to the Chevron on North California in reference to a broken window alarm. Upon arrival, officers noticed that the glass to the front entrance on the east side of the building was broken. After a safety sweep of the outside of the building, officers entered through the broken glass door and conducted a safety sweep of the building and did not locate anyone inside. Management arrived and officers viewed security camera footage, which showed the suspect riding up to the front glass door on a bicycle and throwing a large rock at the glass, shattering it. The suspect enters through the shattered glass door and falls onto the floor. The suspect then gets up and climbs over the counter and grabs a full box of cigarettes and exits the store, leaving on the bike. The suspect was later identified and charges were filed.

A caller reported at 11:37 a.m. that the vicitm left for a doctor’s appointment at the end of June. He texted the caller saying that he was staying with a friend in Los Lunas but has not heard from the victim since. The caller provided the officer with the victim’s information and phone number. The officer called the victim’s phone, but there was no answer. The victim was entered NCIC as a missing person.

An officer completing a check of the Sands Motel at 6:30 a.m. located a male sleeping in one of the rooms. He was identified as a person who has been trespassed from the hotel several times before. The suspect was told to gather his belongings and leave the property. He was advised to stay off the property once again or charges would be filed.

An officer was called at 1 p.m. to a home in the 1300 block of El Camino Real for trespassers. The officer met with Victim 1 who said two juvenile boys passed the home, then returned, with one boy covering his head with his shirt. The boys walked up to the home and banged on the door but left the area before the male victim could open the door.  Victim 2 said she saw the boys approaching her home, which is a duplex with Victim 1. Victim 2 said she asked the boys what they needed, and they became startled. One boy said he just wanted to say hello. The boys left walking north on El Camino Real. Victim 2 stated she was missing a metal tin box that had some costume jewelry as well as a TV wall mount. Both victims asked that the boys be found and trespassed from the property.

A caller reported at 4:53 p.m. of staying at Comfort Inn and upon leaving for work noticed damage to the driver’s door and frame. The damage was consistent with a person attempting to pry the door open. No entry was gained into the vehicle. The cameras did not show a suspect.

July 22

Officers were called at 5 p.m. to Wells Fargo Bank for a robbery. The officers met with the staff who stated a male suspect entered the bank and provided a teller with a note demanding cash. The teller turned over the money and the suspect left. Officers were advised the suspect may have left in a vehicle and a description of the vehicle was given. The officers were on scene processing the vehicle when a vehicle matching the description passed. The officers contacted the owner who said he was at the bank and saw the male enter and exit the bank and then walk around the back of the bank. The officers were advised the suspect was able to get $1,225 from the bank. The suspect was not identified but was suspected of committing other bank robberies around New Mexico. The FBI was contacted and arrived to complete their investigation. Officers obtained latent prints and sterile swabs from the counter the suspect touched. The items were turned over to the FBI.

A driver was pulled over for traffic infractions at Grant and Spring streets. The driver’s information was obtained and an NCIC check was done. The suspect was shown to have a suspended/revoked license with arrest pursuant. The suspect was arrested and booked SCDC. The car was released to the driver’s mother who was a passenger in the vehicle.

A victim reported at 11:05 a.m. that while staying at the Best Western, someone removed the luggage rack from their rental car. The victim said the theft occurred within the last two days. The area was checked for surveillance cameras and at this time there are no suspects.

July 23

An officer was dispatched at 7:33 p.m. on a breaking-and-entering call at a residence in the 300 block of School Of Mines Rd. The resident said she arrived home and found the window was open and the screen on the floor. She told the officer of a male suspect who took his mail from the residence. No other items other than the mail were missing from the residence.

Officers were called at 2:58 a.m. to a home on Texas Avenue for an unresponsive female. EMS staff arrived and found the female deceased. The officer met with the caller, who stated the victim went to bed at about 10 p.m. and woke at 11 p.m. to use the bathroom. The victim had complained that she was short of breath so the caller provided her with a medication and the victim went back to sleep. The caller checked on the victim again at about 3 a.m. and noticed the victim had vomited and did not appear to be breathing. The officers called for the Office Of the Medical Investigator. The OMI staff arrived and completed a preliminary investigation. The victim was taken to a local funeral home.

An officer was called to Dollar Tree for a male suspect sleeping in the dumpster. An NCIC check confirmed the suspect had a valid arrest warrant. The suspect was arrested and booked into SCDC.

Officers called at 9:30 a.m. to the scene of an argument in the 1600 block of El Camino Real. The officer met with Male 1, who said he was passing Male 2’s home and driving Witness 1, the mother of Male 2, home. Male 1 said Male 2 arrived at Witness 1’s home and began yelling at Male 1, making threats to shoot him and accusing him of speeding past his home. Male 1 said he was not speeding and knew that Male 2 had firearms in his home. The officer met with Male 2 who said Male 1 drove past his home at a high rate of speed. Male 2 said he went to talk with Male 1 and asked him to slow down when passing his home. Male 2 said Male 1 then began to yell and curse at him. Male 1 walked over and disputed the statements. Male 1 said Witness 1 was present when Male 2 was making the threats. The officer met with Witness 1 who stated she did hear Male 2 make threats to Male 1. The officer advised both parties the incident was being documented. No charges will be filed.

A victim reported receiving several calls from his ex-girlfriend from a blocked number. The victim said the calls are unwanted and annoying. He said the two had a previous verbal domestic and he was in the process of obtaining a protection order. The victim was advised to block the caller and avoid contact. No phone number was shown for any of the calls. The incident was documented.

July 24

Officers were dispatched at 12:01 a.m. to the Capitol Bar for a possible fight, where two males were being loud. They were yelling at officers and removed from the premises. A short time after, officers were called to Fitch Street where a male was helping another male to his feet. The male suspect started yelling at an officer and was trying to fight with officers and EMTs. He was placed into handcuffs and secured in the rear of a unit. The suspect then started banging his head on the physical divider in the officer’s unit. When an officer opened the door the male kicked the officer. He was taken to Socorro General Hospital, then incarcerated at Socorro County Detention Center.

An officer was dispatched at 7:39 p.m. to a residence on La Vega Road for criminal damage to property. The officer met with a female who said a gray vehicle ran into her residence while she was inside. She said there were two occupants in the vehicle and when she went to speak with them, the vehicle drove away. Officer was given a possible name for the driver of the vehicle.

A caller reported that a friend of his was taken to the hospital. The friend returned early in the morning and picked up her car. The caller said he checked on his vehicle later in the day and noticed scratches on the passenger side and hood of the car. He believed the female friend caused the damage but had no proof. The officer did see the damage to the car. The female friend has not been located for questioning.

A caller in the 1200 block of El Camino Real reported at 4:10 a.m. a male suspect had their vehicle and was refusing to return the car. The caller was able to track the car using the GPS in the car and provided the car’s location. The officer went to the area and found the male suspect and the female suspect in the car. The male was advised to exit the car as the caller wanted her car back. The male and female suspects both exited the car, and an assisting officer walked up and noticed a plate behind the front passenger seat that had a crystal substance on it. The officers knocked on the front door of the home. The female suspect exited the home and was asked to walk to the car. The assisting officer heard the male suspect exit the back of the home. Officers attempted to catch the suspect who was seen running from the home and jumping fences. The male suspect was able to evade police. The female suspect was Mirandized and declined to speak with officers. The officer completed a tow inventory and recovered the plate with a crystal substance. The car was towed from the home. The tow company called the police later about a baggie that was seen between a seat and the center console. The officer found the baggie. The evidence was field-tested positive for methamphetamine and was logged at the police department. The female suspect was processed and booked into SCDC. Charges were filed on the male suspect.

An officer was dispatched at 10:25 a.m. to a residence in the 900 block of Reservoir for theft of a cell phone. The officer spoke with a male who said his juvenile daughter was at a party last night. The juvenile was taken to the hospital and now her cell phone was missing. The male called the phone and it was answered by a female. Arrangements were made for the cell phone to be dropped off but it was never dropped off. The officer went to where the party was to try and locate the cell phone but it was not located. The value of the cell phone was $400.

An officer was dispatched to Walmart for a shoplifter. The officer was told that a female suspect walked out of the store with a tote full of items. She then got into a vehicle and left the area. The officer stopped a vehicle a short time later matching the description, but the female driver was not the suspect.

An officer was patrolling and spotted a male known to have a valid warrant in the area of Second and Ivy streets. The male fled from the officer and entered a residence. The officer found him hiding in a closet and he was arrested and transported to Socorro County Detention Center. While at the detention center he was found to have a piece of foil in his mouth and he admitted to having fentanyl in the foil and trying to sneak it into the jail.

An officer was dispatched at 8:59 p.m. to a residence in the 300 block of Lincoln for a possible break-in. The reporting party noticed a screen was damaged and the window was partially open. Officer did not see any pry marks on the window or any fingerprints. The officer was allowed to search the inside of the residence. The reporting person said nothing was missing in the residence. The officer was told of a male seen in the area. The officer located him and questioned him in the incident. He was advised not to return to the residence.

An officer noticed a male step out of the passenger side of his vehicle at 8:59 p.m. and go into a store on HIghway 85 and buy alcohol. The officer tried to stop the male from driving. The male admitted to drinking and was asked to perform standard field sobriety tests. He refused to take tests, but after he was read his New Mexico implied consent he agreed to be tested. His vehicle was towed and he was transported to Socorro Police Department where he gave two breath samples with results of .24 and .26; three times the legal limit. He was incarcerated at Socorro County Detention Center.

July 25

Officers were dispatched at 5:39 a.m. to the Conoco for a break-in. When officers arrived they met with the victim who informed officers the glass was kicked in on the door to the south side of the building. Officers checked inside the building and it was clear. A security camera video showed two individuals entering the building through the south-facing door. They ran behind the counter and grabbed cigarettes and the cash register and left the building. Officers checked the area but were unable to locate the individuals.

Officers were called at 8:43 p.m. to the scene of an argument in the 300 block of Fifth Street. The victim said the suspect was upset over her giving a cell phone away. During the argument, the suspect slapped her on the face and ear. She added that she was not able to hear from her left ear at this time and asked for an ambulance. An ambulance was called and the victim was checked out but did not go to the hospital. She said the suspect left in a red Dodge pickup before officers arrived. Charges are pending.

An officer was dispatched at 5:49 a.m. to a residence in the 1200 block of Main Street for a male requesting help. The male said he had been in a physical altercation with his wife. He said he was pushed to the ground and was unable to get back up. She then left the residence. He stated he wanted to pursue charges against his wife.

An officer was dispatched at 3:50 p.m. to a residence on Sunset Drive for a verbal domestic. Officer arrived and was met by a female. The female walked into the residence and the officer could hear a male and the female arguing. Officer ordered the male to come out and he aggressively came at the officer, ignoring commands and pulling away from the officer. He was Tased but pulled out the prongs from his abdomen area. The male was placed into handcuffs a short time later.